I think this might be one of the quietest weeks in the Boston running world. I knew this was coming, but it’s strange to be ramping up when it seems like everyone else is in recovery. I’m definitely getting ready for the taper, but I’m not there quite yet–this was a big week with my longest long run and next week will be my “peak week” of training. Either way, I’m less than a month out from Sugarloaf, training smart, and feeling strong and healthy! WOOT. Also exciting: I only have 3 more classes left this semester, so after May 2 I have a glorious 2.5 week “break” before race day.
My mileage looks a little bit deflated this week since I threw off my schedule by skipping a rest day last weekend and taking it on Monday instead–meaning I ran all 7 days last week. Phew. And of course, my “day off” was Marathon Monday, so I was on my feet screaming and yelling all day 🙂 Sometimes I find myself getting a little bit too caught up on the numbers, but I know it’s about the bigger picture–and last year at this time I peaked at 43.6 weekly miles compared to the 50+ I’ve been running consistently this year, so I’m truly more ready than I’ve ever been.
A few weekly highlights were:
- Seeing the Boston documentary! While there were some unnecessary tangents, it was really inspiring and fun to watch with lots of other running nerds.
- A really strong tempo workout on Thursday, hitting a 6:47 at mile 8 of a tough run.
- The March for Science on Saturday! Despite my legs being shot from my long run, it was amazing to get out there and protest–and the signs were HILARIOUS.
My training buddy/neighbor Denise, who is also running Sugarloaf, proposed that we do a “time on feet” run together on Saturday morning. This basically meant that we would run for 3 hours and 15 minutes at an easy pace, focusing on time vs. distance. Despite some cold drizzle, we had a great morning and did a little sprint in for 22.22 miles total. I felt a couple of little niggles near the end, but overall this was a strong run and I couldn’t have been happier to have the company.
Week 12: 49.6 miles total
- Monday: OFF
- Tuesday: Tempo day! Workout was 3 at MGP, 2 at HMGP, and 1 at 10k/threshold. Paces were 3 miles: 7:55, 2 miles: 7:29, 1 mile: 6:47 (!!!) for 9 total.
- Wednesday: 4.6 recovery miles
- Thursday: 5 easy miles + 3 at MGP for 8 total
- Friday: 5.6 easy miles in the rain and a much-need massage
- Saturday: Longest long run! Run by time for 3:15, which worked out to 22.2 miles.
- Sunday: OFF/Vinyasa with deep relaxation yoga class