As you may have gathered from my favorite blogs series (parts one and two) I’m borderline obsessed with my favorites. But there are a few things I see almost every single one of my favorite bloggers do that just get under my skin. Am I qualified to offer blogging advice? Probably not. But bloggers, I’m just one reader, and I’m here to give you my ten cents.
So without further ado–here are my top ten pieces of advice for bloggers, from a loyal fan and reader!
- If you’re going to go outside your niche, but that fitness, fashion, travel, or food, do it well. In general, know your brand and stick to what you’re good at.
- Also, if you don’t know what your niche is, figure it out. Unless you’re like, a supermodel look-alike living the most glamorous life ever, your general “lifestyle” blog is going to get old real fast.
- I am SUPER excited for you that you’re pregnant/just had a baby! Your pics are adorbs, truly. That said, if you turn your blog into a baby blog I will unfollow you immediately. I’m 27 sooo not ready to be bombarded by that stuff yet. Also, refer to #1.
- Please stop apologizing because you posted 3 times a week instead of your usual 5. Your readers have no idea what your posting schedule is, nor do we care. Keep on providing high-quality useful content and we’ll keep reading!
- If you don’t have anything interesting to say, don’t say anything at all. I actually like reading your cute little life recaps before you post a recipe–but if you spent your weekend eating cereal straight from the box and binge watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix, the internet does not need to know that. (No judgement though!)
- If publish a post entitled something along the lines of BEST PANCAKES/CAKE/DINNER EVER and then proceed to share an incredibly complicated recipe with obscure ingredients I can’t actually buy at a store, I will probably be sad.
- Don’t post a recipe you haven’t tested properly. Make it multiple times, feed some to your friend/boyfriend/neighbor/dog, listen to their feedback, make it again, and THEN post it on your blog. Quality > quantity!
- Be up front when a post is sponsored. You gotta bring home the bacon, and that’s totally cool. Just be honest with your readers–we’re not stupid, and we’re going to figure it out if you’re not.
- Fashion blogs/posts are cool. I’m not the best at dressing myself and inspiration is always welcome. But posting 25 pictures of the same outfit is annoying, unhelpful, and makes you seem like a raging narcissist. Cute top though.
- Before you hit publish on a post, ask yourself what your readers will get out of it. The golden rule? Always consider the reader. Always.
Fellow fans, what advice do you have for your favorite bloggers? Bloggers, I’d love to hear your thoughts and feedback too!